This guide provides information on how design applications are examined in respect of national applications filed at the UK Intellectual Property Office.
Its main aim is to ensure consistency of approach in respect of decisions made by the Registrar of Designs, and to provide guidance on practice and procedures for third parties looking to use our registration service.
- Part A: Introduction Includes introduction and purpose of this guide.
- Part B: Absolute grounds for refusal Includes chapters on definition of a design, novelty and individual character, technical function, morality and emblems.
- Part C: Formalities Includes chapters on applications, modification, priority and convention claims, illustrations and disclaimers.
- Part D: The examination report and post-examination procedures Includes time limits, examination and withdrawals.
- Part E: Locarno classification Includes classifying designs under the Locarno system.
- Part F: Glossary The glossary contains a short explanation of terms and abbreviations, contained within the manual.