British High Commission New Zealand
British High Commission
44 Hill Street (Currently operating from the Australian High Commission - 72-76 Hobson Street)
Telephone +64 (0) 4 924 2888
Fax +64 (0) 4 473 4982
The British High Commission Offices in Wellington are temporarily closed due to Earthquake damage. Consular services are currently operating from the Australian High Commission 72-76 Hobson Street.
Hours of service: Monday-Friday 9am till 1pm.
If you are a British National and need assistance, please phone (+64) 04 924 2888 to be connected to a consular duty officer. We hope to safely resume normal service as soon as possible.
General physical access - Public Areas
- All entrances are clear & unobstructed, guard is available if necessary to open doors etc.
- Steps and staircases
- There are stairs but there is access to the consular waiting area via and alternative route without stairs.
- Ramps – are mobile ones accessible?
- No - none necessary.
- A lift to all floors is available
- Disabled toilet on the ground floor
- Parking – are there designated disabled spaces?
- No reserved space but parking available with transfer space
Floor coverings *All floor coverings are safe and even
- No handrails available across courtyard
- There is good lighting.
- Signs are clear.
- Emergency/evacuation – arrangements for emergencies / evacuation for disabled visitors.
- There is a separate procedure for this in the building evacuation plan
- No phone in public areas
For visually impaired visitors
- There are no braille signs, but assistance can be given for the reading of material
- Guide dogs
- Guide dogs are welcome
For hearing impaired visitors
- Hearing loop
- Amplifier installed at visa / passport counter and main reception area
- Minicom and textphones
- There are no minicom or textphones
- Sign language
- There is at least one member of staff trained in BSL
- Interpretation is available by arrangement
- Hearing dogs
- Hearing dogs are welcome