British Embassy Tokyo
TokyoNo 1 Ichiban-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Telephone (+81) (3) 5211-1100
Fax (+81) (3) 5275-3164
Fax - Consular assistance for British nationals +(81) (3) 5275 0346
Email - consular enquiries email@example.com
Email - general enquiries firstname.lastname@example.org
The British Embassy is open Monday to Friday 9:30am to 4:30pm and closed for weekends.
The Consular section is open Monday & Friday: 9:30am – 1:00pm
Tuesday: 9:30am - 12:00pm, 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays
(Please note: appointments required for all documentary and notarial services)
If you would like to report an Emergency involving a British National, please call 03-5211-1100 at any time.
Make an appointment
For all notarial and documentary services, you need to book an appointment. Please visit the links below to make a booking.
Services available: ETDs, marital status documents for opposite-sex couples, notices of marriage and consular marriages for same-sex couples, conversions of civil partnerships, notarial services such as affadavits and certificate of signature.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office and the British Embassy, Tokyo are keen to ensure that their buildings and services are accessible to disabled members of the public. Wherever possible, we have made our buildings and services accessible. Sometimes however, this is not possible due to security or other restrictions. In these situations we will endeavor to provide a service or access to a building in an alternative way to ensure equality of access for disabled people. To assist disabled visitors, we have set out below the details of disabled access at this Embassy. We hope this information is helpful. The Embassy Tokyo has about 180 staff and 24-hour security cover. All staff are happy to help disabled people when they need an assistance. But we would appreciate a minimum of 48 hours notice wherever possible.
General physical access
- Entrances - All Embassy Compound buildings have steps at their entrances. The only exceptions are office buildings. Visitors have an access to the lower level of the New Office Building from PPAS entrance. Upper floor of the New Office Building and Chancery Building can be accessed via slopes.
- Ramps - The Embassy has one mobile ramp. With 48 hours notice, the Embassy can fit the ramp to the entrances of the Ambassador’s Residence and other Compound houses allowing access to the ground floors. But it is unfortunately not yet possible to fit a ramp to the steps of Compound houses No 10 and No 11.
- Lifts - There are currently no lifts in any buildings on the Compound
- Toilets - Disabled toilet is located in the New Office building;
- Parking - We have no specific disabled parking space but this can be arranged with 24 hours notice;
- Floor coverings - internal floor surfaces are flat, either wooden floors or carpet;
- Handrails - Handrails are installed on the slopes to office buildings.;
- Doors - All the doors, except doors to the Visa and Consular Section waiting rooms, are locked for security reasons but a member of Embassy staff can assist.;
- Lighting - Internal and external lighting of the Compound and its buildings is satisfactory;
- Emergency/evacuation - The Embassy has an alarm and PA systems for an emergency. Disabled and other visitors will be assisted in an emergency;
- Phones - Office can be easily adjusted.
Access for visually-impaired visitors
- Signs - there are currently no Braille signs on the Compound.
- Guide dogs - guide dogs are welcome
Access for Deaf/hard of hearing visitors
- Hearing loops are not installed;
- Minicom and textphones are not installed;
- Sign language - We have nobody qualified in Sign Language, however, all Embassy staff are willing to assist using pen and paper; *Interpretation: No professional Signing interpretation is available but the Embassy will endeavour to arrange this, with notice;
- Hearing dogs: Hearing dogs are welcome
If you need to visit us or use our services and feel that they may be inaccessible to you, please e-mail our Customer Services team who will try to find an alternative way of providing assistance.
Office holidays in 2015
- Thursday 1 January
- Friday 3 April
- •Monday 6 April
- Monday 4 May
- Tuesday 5 May
- Monday 20 July
- Monday 21 September
- Monday 12 October
- Monday 23 November
- Wednesday 23 December
- Friday 25 December
- Monday 28 December