Working for British Consulate-General Chicago
As part of the team you will play an important role in the continued partnership between the UK and the US.
Working at The British Embassy US Network offers a unique and rewarding opportunity to grow professionally while collaborating with a talented group of individuals. We offer a wide range of opportunities including, but certainly not limited to, Communications and Press, Security, Administrative, Trade & Investment, Finance, Energy, and the Residence.
Our excellent benefits package includes: medical, dental, vision, life, long term and short term disability insurance, a 401(k) retirement savings plan, generous vacation and leave time, and an enriching training package.
The embassy’s employment opportunities page is updated regularly. We encourage you to review our postings below and submit an application following the instructions in the advert. Due to the large number of qualified applicants who apply, we are only able to respond to those candidates who are selected for further consideration.
The British Embassy US Network is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a diverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, veteran status, or other category protected by law.
As per US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), employers in the US are required to ensure that all employees have the legal right to work in the US. Under US State Department requirements, the embassy and our consulates may only employ, as non-diplomatic staff, persons who are US citizens, US Green Card holders or A visa holders. If you hold a visa other than an A visa, you are not currently eligible to work at the embassy or our consulates. The UK Mission to the UN (UKMIS) also accepts G visas, and British Defence Staff (BDS) outposts accept A or NATO visas. All candidates will be subject to background checks and security clearance.
The British Embassy US Network recognizes that at times extraordinary circumstances merit visa sponsorship. Hiring Managers hold discretion on whether this exception is appropriate for their recruitment. These exceptions include:
- Unmarried partners and dependent children of UK Based staff posted to the US Network.
- Positions which require specialized British knowledge or background, especially those with high level security clearances.
- Positions where a formal recruitment process in the US market has not yielded any successful candidates.
- Staff already employed by Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) elsewhere in the HMG global network (LE and UKB) looking to apply for positions in the US Network.
In all cases, as A visas are not intended to be used for permanent employment, such appointments will be limited to only one visa period.
If you have additional questions, please direct them to email@example.com.
Business Development Associate: Financial, Professional, and Business Services
UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) is the United Kingdom Government’s international business development agency. UKTI is charged with transatlantic trade development between the UK and the US and with assisting US companies looking to invest in the UK. (See www.ukti.gov.uk for further information.)
UKTI USA works closely with UKTI Headquarters in London, the UKTI Investment Services Team, and other departmental agencies in the UK, together with representatives of the three Devolved Administrations of Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales. UKTI aims to drive transatlantic trade and foreign investment into the UK. Made up of 120 members of staff spread across 9 different offices, this is a dynamic team that focuses on various sectors including financial services, life sciences, digital and creative media, security, and clean technology.
The post advertised is for a Business Development Associate concentrating on the Financial, Professional & Business Services sectors, based in the British Consulate-General Chicago, and reporting to the Trade & Investment Officer for Financial, Professional & Business Services. The successful applicant will work as part of a team responsible for assisting UK companies looking to enter the Midwestern US market and identifying and providing assistance to US companies in the Midwest looking to set up or expand in the UK.
Location Information: Based in Chicago, the successful applicant will be a part of the 13 person UKTI team responsible for the Midwestern region. He/she will engage with clients and stakeholders in Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Ohio, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.
Sector Information: This position will cover the Financial, Professional & Business Services sectors.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Proactively identify US Financial, Professional & Business Services companies that would be interested in setting up or expanding their operations in the UK. Make initial contact, organize visit programs and schedule company meetings for the Trade & Investment Officer. Attend meetings where appropriate and assist in the management of client relationships.
- Conduct research and compile reports on industry developments, best routes to market and potential US business partners for UK companies operating in the Financial, Professional & Business Services sectors that are looking to enter the US market.
- Develop knowledge of developments and trends in the Financial, Professional & Business Services sectors in both the US and the UK.
- Build and manage a database of key contacts in the sectors. Ability to use a variety of online and social media tools.
- Assist with initiatives such as incoming and outgoing missions, seminars, panel discussions, receptions and other events to promote the UK’s strengths in the Financial, Professional & Business Services sectors. Contribute when necessary to administrative and logistical support for event participation.
- Provide operational and administrative support to the Trade & Investment Officer and to the wider UKTI Chicago team as and when required.
- Liaise with both internal teams and external contacts at an executive level.
- Educated to at least degree level.
- 1-3 years relevant work experience in business, preferably in economic development/business development.
- Some knowledge of the business environments in both the UK and US.
- Excellent research ability.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Proactive self-starter, able to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks.
- Comfortable with initiating and handling introductory calls to companies.
- Strong team player.
- Flexibility and the ability to take direction from and support five sector teams in a way which best suits each team.
- Interest in Financial, Professional & Business Services sectors, e.g. financial technology, investment management, management consulting, law, back & middle office operations, etc.
- Ability to attend evening and morning events.
- Ability to undertake occasional travel within the US and the UK.
- Proficiency in standard Microsoft Office applications.
The target salary for this position is $44,100 annualized. Salary will be confirmed upon offer of employment.
Applications will be accepted until 17 March 2014. To apply, click here. Please include your resume, cover letter and salary history in your application.