Research and analysis
Leadership and faith schools: issues and challenges
An overview of approaches and challenges to school leadership for faith schools.
PDF, 312KB, 29 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This report reviews a wide range of literature and materials, and is structured around 3 broad areas:
- A description of the history of faith schools and their place in the provision of education
- A summary of approaches to school leadership and the relevance of these to faith schools
- A discussion of the main issues and challenges specific to the leadership of faith schools
The 5 most common challenges identified were:
- maintaining distinctiveness
- admissions policy in relation to children of other, or no, faith
- balancing the provision of high-quality education and faith commitment
- partnerships within and beyond the faith community
- contributing to social cohesion and meeting community expectations
Published: 1 March 2013