Examining patent applications for medical inventions
These guidelines set out how the IPO examines patent applications for medical inventions.
Examination guidelines for patent applications relating to medical inventions in the Intellectual Property Office
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
This guide covers:
- basic principles
- methods of treatment or diagnosis
- multi-step methods involving a surgical, therapeutic or diagnostic step
- apparatus for surgery, therapy or diagnosis
- first medical use
- second medical use
- claims to pharmaceutical compositions
- index of course cases and IPO decisions
- index of European Patent Office decisions