On 8 August 2016, the Work and Pensions Committee launched an inquiry into defined benefit pensions funds. This inquiry covers a number of issues, including:
- defined benefit pensions regulation by the Pensions Regulator (TPR)
- the Pension Protection Fund (PPF)
- the role and powers of pension scheme trustees
- relationships between TPR, PPF, trustees and sponsoring employers
- the balance between meeting pension obligations and ensuring the on-going viability of sponsoring employers.
The Government Actuary submitted written evidence to this inquiry in October, which has now been formally published by the inquiry. This document provides details of the evidence submitted by the Government Actuary to this inquiry.