This research looks at the important factors associated with high performance in leadership teams in English primary, secondary and special schools. It shows that the effectiveness of school senior leadership teams may be compromised by differences in commitment to school objectives within teams, and sustainability is affected adversely by changes in senior leadership team membership.
The research is underpinned by 7 research questions:
- What factors are important in recruiting individuals for high performing leadership teams?
- What factors facilitate the establishment and development of high performing leadership teams?
- What factors are important in maintaining a high level of effectiveness in the performance of senior leadership teams?
- What are the characteristics, strategies, and approaches that are critical to the effective leadership of high performing teams?
- What are the potential pitfalls to be avoided?
- What are the implications of this for new headteachers?
- What are the implications of this for professional team development?