Research into the different approaches to integrating coaching into the school improvement process.
How a small cross-phase sample of 8 schools in one local authority area went about the process of creating a culture of coaching.
The schools found that coaching needed careful introduction before being launched. Successful implementation was achieved when:
- clear links were made with existing initiatives such as Assessment for Learning and school self-evaluation
- coaching could be seen to supplement and improve existing contining professional development
- models of coaching are used to maintain focus
Schools involved in this research were also working on ways to share the success of their coaching work, including:
- further collaborative working
- upskilling more staff in coaching skills
- sharing good practice with a wider audience