William (Bill) Kovacic was appointed Non-Executive Director of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board on 15 July 2013.
He is also:
- Global Competition Professor of Law and Policy at the George Washington University Law School, USA and Director of the School’s Competition Law Centre
- Co-editor of the Journal of Antitrust Enforcement, published by Oxford University Press
- an adviser on antitrust and consumer protection issues to various governments around the world since 1992
- a visiting Professor at the Dickson Poon School of Law at King’s College London
Previous career highlights include:
- Chair of the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Vice Chair for Outreach of the International Competition Network
- General Counsel at the FTC
Non-Executive Directors of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board play an important role in setting up the organisation, working with the chair and chief executive.
As board members, they are also responsible for:
- setting the organisation’s strategic direction and policy framework
- developing priorities
- monitoring performance against its objectives
- making decisions on Market Investigation References