Volker was Group CEO of RWE Npower plc until the end of 2012 and prior to this, its Group CFO from 2003 to 2009.
Volker has worked in a variety of trade and industry bodies, including the CBI President’s Committee, on the Board of the German-British Chamber of Industry and Commerce, and, since 1999, as Deputy Chair of the Executive Commercial Management Committee at the German Association of Energy and Water Industries (BDEW).
Volker was also member of the Executive Committee of UKBCSE (now Energy UK). He chairs the Business Energy Forum and is Honorary VP of the Energy and Utilities Forum.
Current external appointments include:
- Non-Executive Director - Elexon Ltd
- Chair - SpencerAM Ltd (until August 2016), Albion Community Power plc, Reactive Technologies Ltd.
- Director and Honorary VP - British Institute of Energy Economics
- Other positions - Member of the Board of Directors, Danske Commodities A/S; Vice- Chairman (since October 2016), Member of UK PwC Advisory Board
Non-Executive Directors are members of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority’s Board.
- monitors the NDA’s performance and directs its business effectively, including playing an active role in stakeholder relations
- receives frequent updates on the NDA’s financial position, forecasts and sensitivities
- ensures that a balanced assessment of performance is reported to BEIS and regularly debates the main (corporate strategic) risks facing the NDA