Tony Leifer joined the Charity Commission as Board member in May 2013. He has had a distinguished career at both DJ Freeman and Olswang LLP Solicitors, at each of which he was partner and formerly Head of the Corporate Department. His voluntary roles include:
- Member of the Board of Deputies of British Jews, chair of its Constitution Committee and a member of its Board’s Executive Committee
- Chairman of the Jewish Council for Racial Equality
- Trustee of YaD and the Corrine Burton Memorial Trust
Mr Leifer is also General Counsel (part-time) for Curtis Brown Group Limited.
Charity Commission Board members are ultimately responsible for all that the commission does. They set the commission’s values, business direction and strategy and make sure it acts fairly, responsibly, transparently, proportionately and ethically. Board members see that the commission maintains its integrity and independence. They identify and manage risks and listen and respond to stakeholders.
The commission’s Board members also:
- monitor how the commission meets its statutory objectives and uses its legal powers
- consider the commission’s management team’s performance, governance standards and delivery against plans
- focus on maximising the commission’s impact and effectiveness
- make sure the commission uses public funds prudently