Professor Tim Dafforn took up his post as Chief Scientific Adviser at the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills in June 2015.
Prior to this appointment he was entrepreneur in residence at BIS with a remit to champion activities in synthetic biology in the department.
His career highlights include:
- Head of Policy and member of the executive at the Biochemical Society
- Member of the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC) new ways of working strategy panel
- Member of the Synthetic Biology Leadership Council
- Former Director of Knowledge Transfer, Life and Environmental Sciences at the University of Birmingham
- Founder of Linear Diagnostics Ltd and Dioptica Scientific Ltd
His career includes more than 100 publications and a lifetime research grant capture of £10 million.
BIS Chief Scientific Adviser
The BIS Chief Scientific Adviser is responsible for:
- ensuring that the department’s policies are supported by the best science and engineering advice available
- advising ministers and senior officials on science and engineering matters
- acting as head of the science and engineering profession within BIS
- working with the wider community of Chief Scientific Advisers to share good practice and resolve cross departmental problems