Tamara Finkelstein was appointed as Director General for Community Care at the Department of Health in July 2016.
She is currently seconded across to the Department for Communities and Local Government to lead the Building Safety Programme. This was established following the fire at Grenfell Tower - it is responsible for ensuring confidence in the fire safety of high rise buildings.
Tamara joined the Department of Health in September 2014 as Chief Operating Officer and Director General for Group Operations.
Her previous roles include:
- Director of Public Services at HM Treasury
- Secretary to Lord Hutton’s Independent Public Service Pensions Commission
- Programme Director for intergration at the UK Border Agency
- Director of Government Treasury Management at HM Treasury
- Director of Operations at HM Treasury
- Private Secretary and speechwriter to the Chancellor
- Deputy Head of Sure Start, the government’s early years programme
Tamara lives in London with her husband and 3 children.
Director General, Community Care
The Director General for Community Care is responsible for the following policy areas:
- social care, ageing and disability
- community, mental health and 7 day services
- medicines and pharmacy
- digital and data policy
- technology transformation
- the Office of the Chief Social Worker
Previous roles in government
Chief Operating Officer and Director General for Group Operations
- 2014 to 2016