Baroness Williams was appointed Minister of State at the Home Office on 17 July 2016. She is a Conservative member of the House of Lords.
Baroness Williams was educated at La Sagesse High School and the University of Huddersfield, from which she was awarded a BSc in applied nutrition.
Baroness Williams was a member of Trafford Metropolitan Borough Council between 1998 and 2011, serving as leader of the Conservative group between 2002 and 2009 and as Council Leader between 2004 and 2009. She was raised to the peerage in 2013. She previously served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Communities and Local Government from May 2015 until July 2016.
Career outside politics
Baroness Williams was a non-executive director of the North West Development Agency between 2007 and 2011 and was the Chair (North West) of the Heritage Lottery Fund between 2011 and 2012. She has also served on the board of the Central Salford Urban Regeneration Company and as a member of the Greater Manchester Police Authority.
More recently she was a director of the North West Rail Campaign and executive director of Atlantic Gateway.
Baroness Williams is married and has a son and 2 daughters.
Minister of State for Countering Extremism
The Minister of State is responsible for:
- all Home Office business in the House of Lords
- countering extremism
- hate crime
- data strategy
- identity and biometrics
- Better Regulation
- animals in science
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Minister for Equalities)
The Minister for Equalities has overall responsibility for:
- policy on sexual orientation and transgender equality
- cross-government equality strategy and legislation
Previous roles in government
- Government launches new national hate crime awareness campaign
- Campaign launched in Luton to unite town and tackle extremism
- Home Office reopens fund to help communities tackle hate crime
- Over £5 million awarded to community groups to fight extremism
- Hate crime plan refreshed to protect victims and promote shared values
- Baroness Williams’ Speech: LGBT Action Plan Launch Event
- Government plans renewed action to tackle hate crime
- Sports groups score £400,000 funding boost to tackle extremism
- UK-India working together to counter extremism
- Baroness Williams visits India to strengthen counter-extremism cooperation