Stephen Aldridge was appointed acting Chief Scientific Adviser at the Department for Communities and Local Government in December 2012.
Stephen is currently Director for Analysis and Innovation at DCLG.
A government economist by background, his previous career highlights include:
- Director of the Strategy Unit in the Cabinet Office
- Chief Economist in the Cabinet Office
He was made a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in the Queen’s birthday honours list 2007.
DCLG Chief Scientific Adviser
The Chief Scientific Adviser is responsible for:
- ensuring that science and engineering evidence is commissioned and used effectively in policy development
- advising ministers and senior officials on science and engineering matters
- acting as head of the science and engineering profession within DCLG
- working with the wider community of Chief Scientific Advisers to share good practice and resolve cross departmental problems