Simon Penney was announced as Her Majesty’s Trade Commissioner (HTMC) for the Middle East in May 2018.
Simon has spent many years in the banking sector with extensive experience leading corporate and financial institution groups and teams across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
Simon’s previous roles in the Middle East include:
- Head of Wholesale and International Banking, First Gulf Bank
- Chief Executive Officer, Middle East and Africa, Royal Bank of Scotland
Simon has also worked:
- for ABN AMRO Bank in South Africa and the UK
- in consulting at PwC
- in project finance within the construction industry
- a construction management degree from Reading University
- an MBA from Nottingham University
HM Trade Commissioner for Middle East
The HM Trade Commissioner for the Middle East cooperates closely with the wider diplomatic network and other colleagues to coordinate the government effort overseas to promote UK trade and prosperity.
The Trade Commissioner has full responsibility for all Department for International Trade (DIT) work in the Middle East including:
- growing the overall bilateral trade and investment relationship
- improving market access for British companies, including small and medium sized businesses (SMEs)
- developing finance and trade policy