Simon Bollom graduated from Southampton University in 1981 with an honours degree in mechanical engineering. He served in the RAF as an engineering officer for 35 years and his last appointment was as Chief of Materiel (Air) in Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) and RAF Chief Engineer on the Air Force Board. During his service career he served in a variety of operational and staff appointments, with the last 15 years focussed on acquisition and support delivery.
He retired from the RAF in April 2016 and having enjoyed a short career break interspersed with some consulting, he returned to the DE&S as Chief of Materiel (Ships) in April 2017 responsible for acquisition and support of surface ships for the Royal Navy. He was appointed as Chief Executive Officer DE&S in May 2018.
Appointed as Companion of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath in 2011, he became a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering in 2012 and was made a Knight Command in Her Majesty the Queen’s 2016 New Year’s Honours List.
Chief Executive of Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S)
The Chief Executive Officer is the UK’s National Armaments Director and as the Accounting Officer for Defence Equipment and Support (DE&S) is directly responsible to Parliament for the stewardship of DE&S’ resources.
To discharge these responsibilities, CEO has delegated authority from PUS to lead and manage DE&S:
- providing equipment and logistic support to current operations, including delivery against urgent operational requirements
- delivering funded equipment acquisition and support outputs, as agreed with Front Line Commands and the Head Office
- delivering projects to performance, time and cost targets, in accordance with agreed asset delivery plans
- managing safety, risk and environmental issues in accordance with mandated requirements and appropriate best practice
- representing UK interests in international military and political fora, including NATO and the EU