Sam Gyimah was a joint Minister for Higher Education at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy and the Department for Education from January to November 2018. He was elected the Conservative MP for East Surrey in 2010.
He studied philosophy, politics and economics at Somerville College, Oxford.
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Ministry of Justice from July 2016 to January 2018
- Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Education from May 2015 until July 2016
- Parliamentary Secretary at the Cabinet Office from July 2014 until March 2015
- a Government Whip from October 2013 to July 2014
- Parliamentary Private Secretary to Prime Minister David Cameron from 2012 to 2013
- a member of the International Development Select Committee from 2011 to 2012
- a member of the Speaker’s Committee on the Electoral Commission 2010 to 2012
Career outside politics
Sam spent 5 years working for Goldman Sachs and then went on to help build and develop a number of small businesses in the training, recruitment and internet sectors.
Sam is married and has 2 children.