Sam Beckett has been Director General for Economics and Markets and Deputy Head of the Government Economic Service since November 2013.
Sam joined the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) from the Cabinet Office where she was Director of the Economic and Domestic Secretariat. Prior to joining the Cabinet Office, Sam was Director of the Fiscal Group in HM Treasury; leading the fiscal policy response to the financial crisis, the government’s engagement with the credit rating agencies and establishing the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR). Sam has over 25 years’ experience in BIS, Cabinet Office and HM Treasury, in roles spanning micro and macro-economics, strategy, policy and corporate services delivery.
Director General, Economics and Markets
The Director General for Economics and Markets sits on the Executive and Departmental Boards. The Director General has responsibility for:
- supporting BIS policy, strategy and delivery to help UK businesses
- developing policies to promote the UK’s economic growth and looking after company law, financial reporting and corporate governance frameworks
- ensuring that the UK’s trade and investment policy interests are well represented in international negotiations, and that export controls on military and dual use goods are robust
- ensuring that the UK has a competitive, efficient and effective labour market to encourage business success and growth
- promoting competitive markets for consumers and growth by using a range of competition and consumer policy interventions
- Regional Growth Fund, UK devolution and economic shocks
- promoting and defending the UK’s economic interests in and through the EU including the competitiveness strand of the Prime Minister’s referendum strategy, the single market and improving Whitehall performance on compliance with State Aid