Roger Cashmore was appointed Chairman of the UK Atomic Energy Authority on 30 July 2010 and reappointed on 30 July 2013.
- he is a Fellow of the Royal Society and in 2010 led the Royal Society working group on Nuclear Proliferation
- he is a former Principal of Brasenose College in Oxford, and is a Professor of Experimental Physics in Oxford
- before returning to Oxford, he was Director of Research and Deputy Director General of CERN, the European high energy physics laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland
- before leaving for CERN he was Chairman of Physics in Oxford
- in 2004 he was made a Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG) for services to international particle physics
The Chairman is responsible for leading the UK Atomic Energy Authority Board’s strategy and ensuring that its objectives are achieved.