Robert Jenrick was appointed as Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury on 9 January 2018. He was elected Conservative MP for Newark in June 2014.
Robert studied History at St John’s College, Cambridge and was Thouron Fellow in Political Science at the University of Pennsylvania.
Robert entered Parliament following a by-election in June 2014. He served on the Health Select Committee from July 2014 until he was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Minister for Employment at the Department for Work and Pensions. He was appointed as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Lord Chancellor and Secretary of State for Justice in May 2015 and from June 2017 served as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Home Secretary. From July 2017 until his appointment as Exchequer Secretary he was a member of the Board of the Conservative Party.
Career outside politics
Robert qualified as a solicitor in 2008 and practised corporate law at leading international law firms in London and Moscow before pursuing a business career. He held several senior financial roles at Christie’s, the art business, including International Managing Director prior to being elected to Parliament.
Robert is married with 3 children.
Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury
The Exchequer Secretary (XST) is responsible for:
- UK growth and productivity
- Industrial Strategy
- infrastructure delivery
- regional devolution, City deals, Northern Powerhouse and Midlands Engine
- promoting UK as a destination for FDI (non-FS)
- better regulation and competition policy
- energy, environment and climate policy
- Patient Capital Review implementation
- National Infrastructure Commission
- Infrastructure and Projects Authority (IPA, joint with Cabinet Office)
- Public- Private Partnerships (PPPs) and Private Finance Initiatives (PFI/PFI2)
- the following indirect taxes (supporting FST as lead tax Minister)
- excise duties (alcohol, tobacco and gambling), including excise fraud and law enforcement
- soft drink industry levy
- environment and transport taxation, North Sea oil, gas and shipping
- Corporate Governance
- National Insurance Bill
- charities, the voluntary sector and gift aid
- supporting tax legislation in Parliament
- Crown Estate and the Royal Household
- Royal Mint
- departmental minister for HM Treasury Group
- Treasury launches review into barriers for women in business
- Jenrick toasts success of Scottish industry
- Strong public backing bolsters fight against blight of plastic waste
- Management of £400 million electric vehicles charge fund opens to bidders
- Cambridge-based digital taskforce to boost British infrastructure
- Mace wins new government-backed construction award
- Extra funding freedoms for Liverpool City Region
- Red diesel call for evidence roundtable held with industry leaders
- Government completes 26 major projects that deliver policy priorities and improve public services
- UK ratifies global treaty to tackle illegal tobacco trade