Richard was appointed Chief of Defence People at the Ministry of Defence in April 2016.
Prior to his appointment, Richard held a number of joint and single service army appointments, on operations and in staff appointments, including:
- Assistant Chief of Defence Staff (Personnel and Training) and Defence Services Secretary
- Chief of Staff to the ISAF Joint Command in Kabul, the ISAF 3* Operational HQ
- Army Director General Personnel
- Director of Manning (Army)
- Chief Joint Fires and Influence at HQ Allied Rapid Reaction Corps, in Afghanistan (Kabul)
Appointed MBE in June 1998, CBE in January 2012 and CVO in September 2016, he was awarded the US Legion of Merit for his services in Afghanistan in 2014.
Chief of Defence People
The Chief of Defence People is responsible for the setting and assurance of people policies and processes in order to sustain the delivery of defence outputs through the right mix of sufficient, capable and motivated people. He or she reports to Chief of Defence Staff and the Permanent Secretary, is a member of both the Executive and People Committees and attends the Defence Board as required.
The Chief of Defence People is responsible for:
- setting the defences wide Whole Force vision and strategy
- ensuring a commitment to inclusion and diversity across the defence workforce
- driving simplification and harmonisation of people policies and procedures
- identifying and applying best practice from elsewhere in the private and public sector to improve the leadership and management of people
- ensuring the Whole Force dimension is taken into account in major our change programmes
- supporting ministers’ accountability to Parliament and the public for people issues