Richard Calvert is Director General of the Strategy and Resources Directorate at the Department for Education. He was appointed in September 2015.
His previous roles include:
- Director General for Finance and Corporate Performance at the Department for International Development
- Private Secretary to both Lynda Chalker and Clare Short
- Director of Strategy and Resources at the Food Standards Agency
- Head of Service Quality in the Children, Schools and Family Directorate at Hertfordshire county council
- working in Brussels at the UK’s Permanent Representation to the EU, where he was responsible for EU relations with developing countries
- Independent Adviser and Chair of the Audit and Risk Committee at the National Assembly for Wales
Richard’s current non-executive roles within the public sector include being a board member of Hightown Housing Association and a Governor of the University of Hertfordshire.
He is also a qualified management accountant.
Director General, Strategy and Resources Directorate
The Director General for Strategy and Resources Directorate is responsible for the Department for Education’s:
- finance and commercial business
- human resources
- internal audit function
- change programme
- IT group
- portfolio management function
- strategy and delivery
- analysis and resourcing
- international division
Previous roles in government
Director General, Finance and Corporate Performance
- 2009 to 2015