Richard Brown is a non-executive member of the Department for Transport Board.
Richard is currently Chairman of Catalyst Housing Ltd, a board member of HS2 and Deputy President of the French Chamber of Commerce in Great Britain. He was Chief Executive of Eurostar from August 2002 to April 2010 and Chairman until June 2013. Richard was previously Commercial Director and main Board Director of National Express Group plc, where he set up its UK Trains Division.
He has spent 36 years in the transport industry, and was a Director of British Rail’s Intercity Division before privatisation. Richard is a past President of Railteam and of the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport, and was twice Chairman of the Association of Train Operating Companies.
Richard was appointed CBE in 2007. He was educated at Cambridge, University College, London, and Harvard.
Non-executive board member, DfT
Non-executive board members provide the Department for Transport with strategic advice, support and challenge. They also attend departmental board meetings and meet with the management team.
- non-executive board member since July 2013
- chairs the Franchising Advisory Panel
- member of the HS2 Board
- the Secretary of State’s appointed member of the Network Rail Board (since June 2015)
- led the Transport resilience review
- conducted the independent Review of the rail franchising programme in 2012