Rachel Glennerster was appointed Chief Economist at the Department for International Development in January 2018.
The Chief Economist is responsible for:
- providing economic advice to Ministers, senior officials, and country offices
- ensuring DFID policies and investment decisions are informed by rigorous evidence
- overseeing the Quality Assurance Unit which reviews large business cases prior to submission to Ministers
- supporting economists throughout the department by providing opportunities to stay up to date with developments in the economic discipline
- working with other Chief Economists to contribute to a vibrant Government Economic Service and to address cross departmental issues