Philippa Lloyd has been Director General of Higher and Further Education (HE/FE) at the Department for Education (DfE) since July 2016.
Philippa has been a civil servant since 1995. Her previous roles include:
- Director General for People, Strategy & Higher Education in the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills
- Principal Private Secretary to 3 different secretaries of state
Director General, Higher and Further Education
The director general is a member of the Department for Education Board and attends both the performance and management committees.
The role is responsible for:
- higher and further education strategy and policy (including the Higher Education and Research Bill, the introduction of postgraduate loans and the teaching excellence framework)
- the adult education budget
- further education quality, restructuring and intervention
- workforce development, upskilling and lifetime learning
- analysis and data including the exploitation of big data for further and higher education
- sponsorship of the Higher Education Funding Council for England, the Student Loans Company, the Skills Funding Agency and further education college sector
Previous roles in government
Director General, People, Strategy and Higher Education
- 2012 to 2016