Philip Smith is Country Director for the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) in Ghana. Philip has been based at the British High Commission in Accra since August 2017.
Philip joined DFID in 2002 and has held a number of different senior positions in DFID headquarters and overseas. Prior to being posted to Ghana, Philip was Deputy Head of DFID’s programme in Malawi as well as Acting Country Director DFID Malawi throughout 2016. From 2008 to 2014, Philip held various roles in DFID Nepal where he led UK efforts to build Nepal’s capacity to prepare and respond to earthquakes and other natural disasters.
Head of DFID Ghana & Liberia
The head of a DFID country office has overall responsibility for the running of the office and it’s programmes.
Previous roles in government
Head of DFID Nepal
- 2013 to 2013
- DFID Ghana Country Director's speech at Commonwealth Digital Finance event
- DFID Ghana Country Director's speech at the launch of report on poverty profile in Ghana
- DFID Ghana Country Director's speech at CBE Lesson Learning workshop
- DFID Country Director's speech at the CBE Stakeholders' Annual Review
- DFID Ghana Country Director's speech at the launch of Ghana's Business Regulation Reform Strategy
- DFID Ghana Country Director's speech on the business cost of violence against women & girls
- DFID Ghana Country Director's speech at EDGECon 2017