Peter West is the British High Commissioner to Uganda. He took up his appointment on 30 November 2016.
He is married to Julia West. They have one daughter and twin sons.
Mr West’s first posting was to Argentina in 1980. He has since worked in a range of countries including New Zealand, Denmark, Thailand, Australia and most recently Nigeria.
- Feb 2013 - Nov 2016: British High Commissioner to the Republic of Sierra Leone
- Oct 2011 – Dec 2012: Lagos, Deputy High Commissioner
- Sept 2008 - Oct 2011 Abuja, Deputy High Commissioner
- July 2004 - July 2008 Melbourne, Consul General
- 2000 – 2004 - Bangkok, Deputy Head of Mission
- 1997 – 1999 - FCO, Deputy Head, South Asian Department
- 1992 – 1997 - Copenhagen, First Secretary (Political/EU)
- 1991 – 1992 - FCO, Head of Section, Latin America Department
- 1989 – 1991 - FCO, Desk Officer, Security Coordination Department
- 1986 – 1988 - FCO, Desk Officer, Southern African Department
- 1984 – 1986 - Auckland, Vice Consul (Commercial)
- 1980 – 1983 - Buenos Aires, Third Secretary/Vice Consul
- 1977 - Entered Foreign and Commonwealth Office
British High Commissioner to Uganda
The High Commissioner is the UK government’s representative in a Commonwealth nation. They are responsible for the direction and work of the High Commission and its Deputy High Commissions and/or Consulates, including political work, trade and investment, press and cultural relations, and visa and consular services.
Previous roles in government
British High Commissioner to Sierra Leone
- 2013 to 2016