Peter Watkins CBE became Director General Security Policy in the Ministry of Defence (MOD) in April 2014.
Previous appointments in the MOD include:
- Director General of the Defence Academy
- Director Operational Policy
- Director of the Typhoon programme
- Command Secretary (i.e. Finance Director) of RAF Strike Command (now Air Command)
- Private Secretary to the Defence Secretary
He has also served as a Counsellor in the British Embassy in Germany.
Peter is the Chairman of the joint government/media Defence and Security Media Advisory (DSMA) Committee and the MOD Trustee of the Imperial War Museums.
Peter was awarded a CBE in 2004 and is a Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and the Institute of Directors.
Director General Security Policy
The Director General Security Policy is responsible for advising the Secretary of State for Defence on all aspects of the defence contribution to security policy.
The Director General Security Policy’s responsibilities include:
- the defence contribution to UK security policy, including multilateral and bilateral defence relations and operational policy
- nuclear (deterrence), cyber and space policy
- the defence contribution to exports, including leading strategic export campaigns
- MOD oversight of the joint units on Euro-atlantic security policy, counter proliferation and arms controls, export controls and UN peacekeeping