Peter Strachan was appointed as Director General, Major Projects and London in October 2011.
Peter began his career at British Rail before moving on to roles including:
- Director, Midlands at Railtrack
- Managing Director at North Western Trains, Wales and Borders Trains and Arriva Trains, Wales
- Chief Executive of the Australian Rail Division, National Express Group.
- Chief Executive Officer of the TransLink Transit Authority
- Chair of the International Association for Public Transport for Australia and New Zealand
Director General Major Projects & London
To contribute to the collective leadership of DfT as a Board and Executive Committee member and lead the Major Projects & London Group. The main areas of responsibility are:
- delivery of major rail investment projects, involving cross industry leadership
- ensuring rail passenger franchises deliver customer benefits and that financial and other risks are effectively managed
- working with the Highways Agency on the risks to and the delivery of their major roads programme
- government funding and relationship with Transport for London
- ensuring first class commercial and technical support on corporate finance and specialist procurement across the Department
- making sure we have the right people for commercial, programme and project management