Peter Lauener was appointed Chief Executive and Accounting Officer when the Education Funding Agency (EFA) was formed in April 2012 and to the role of Chief Executive of the Skills Funding Agency (SFA) in November 2014. Peter holds both roles concurrently and has separate accountability for each agency’s budget. He is also Chief Executive of the Institute for Apprenticeships.
His previous roles include:
- Chief Executive, Young People’s Learning Agency
- Director, Local Transformation at the Department for Children, Schools and Families
- Director, Skills, Department for Education and Skills (DFES)
- Acting Director General, Lifelong Learning and Skills (DFES)
- Director, Qualifications and Young People’s Group (DFES)
Chief Executive, Institute for Apprenticeships
The Chief Executive leads the institute’s work on improving the quality of apprenticeship standards, advising government on pricing of these standards and driving quality across the apprenticeship system.
The institute is a crown, non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Education.
Previous roles in government
Chief Executive, Education and Skills Funding Agency
- 2017 to 2017
Chief Executive, Skills Funding Agency
- 2014 to 2017
Chief Executive, EFA
- 2012 to 2017