Paul McComb is currently the Transition Programme Director at Department for International Trade (DIT).
Paul joined UKTI in 2016, which has since become DIT. From 2011 to 2016 he was the Principal Private Secretary to Right Honourable Iain Duncan Smith MP, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (DWP), where he helped to deliver the biggest reform of the Welfare State in 60 years.
Prior to this he served on the Delivery Board of Jobcentre Plus for 4 years, where he led an organisation of 25,000 people paying out £50 billion in welfare benefits to 4 million customers, headed up the planning and performance function and led the organisational design and transformation programme.
Previous roles include:
- Managing Director of Strategy at UK Trade and Investment (UKTI): 2016
- Director, Principal Private Secretary, Department for Work and Pensions: 2011 to 2016
- Deputy Director, Welfare Policy, Department for Work and Pensions: 2011
- Director, Working Age Benefit Operations, Department for Work and Pensions: 2009 to 2011
- Deputy Director, Jobcentre Plus, Department for Work and Pensions: 2005 to 2009
Transition Programme Director
The Transition Programme established the Department for International Trade following the Prime Minister’s announcement of the formation of the department on 18 July 2016.
The programme ensures the most effective governance, sourcing and operational deployment of HMG resources to deliver on the government’s commitments across the department’s areas of responsibility - both across the whole of the UK and in over 100 markets overseas. Specifically, the director’s remit includes the design of DIT’s overseas network operating model.
Previous roles in government
Managing Director, Strategy
- 2016 to 2016