Paul Gray CB became the chair of the Social Security Advisory Committee (SSAC) in 2012. He was appointed by the government to lead the 2 statutory independent reviews of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessment process. The first independent review reported at the end of 2014, while the second report was published in March 2017.
Paul is also an associate of Praesta Partners LLP, an executive coaching and mentoring firm.
His former roles include:
- Executive Chairman, HM Revenue & Customs
- Second Permanent Secretary, Department for Work and Pensions
- economic affairs private secretary to the Prime Minister
- corporate planner in the private sector
The chairman of the Social Security Advisory Committee (SSAC) leads a committee of 13 members appointed by the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions to:
- give advice on social security issues as it sees fit
- consider and report on social security regulations that have been referred to it
- advise on matters referred to it by the Secretary of State or the Northern Ireland department responsible for social security
- scrutinise the products produced by the Department for Work and Pensions