Paul Cosford joined PHE on 12 October 2012.
Prior to this, Paul led the national and local delivery of health protection services within the Health Protection Agency (HPA) from September 2010, and was acting Chief Executive of the HPA from October 2012 to February 2013.
Until 2010, he was the Regional Director of Public Health for the East of England leading:
- strategies for health inequalities and health improvement (including tobacco and obesity control)
- the health system’s response to pandemic flu
- the reduction of healthcare associated infections.
Paul has an Honorary Professorship in Public Health at Chester University.
Director for Health Protection and Medical Director
The Director for Health Protection and Medical Director is responsible for:
- ensuring prevention and control of infectious diseases and environmental hazards
- ensuring effective planning and responses to public health emergencies throughout England
- leading the global public health functions for PHE
- leading PHE’s work on quality and clinical governance (jointly with the Chief Nurse), medical and public health professionalism and performance
- professional support for the longer team development of the public health system in England.