Nick Baird was appointed Chief Executive of UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) between September 2011 and December 2013 and had served on the FCO Board since 2009.
Prior to this, Nick was Director General, Europe and Globalisation, leading the FCO’s work on Europe, global economic issues, migration and consular. Nick was Ambassador to Turkey from 2006 to 2009, leading work on Turkey’s EU process and regional conflicts.
Nick joined the FCO in 1983 and was posted to Kuwait in 1986. Subsequent positions include:
- UK Representation to the EU in Brussels in 1989 as First Secretary
- Private Secretary to the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State and then Head of the Unit covering the EU Intergovernmental Conference from 1993 to 1997
- Deputy Head of Mission to Muscat in 1997
- UK Representation to the EU in Brussels as Counsellor (Justice and Home Affairs) in 1998
- Head of European Union Department (Internal Issues) in 2002
- Immigration and Nationality Directorate at the Home Office first as Director of International Delivery, and then as Senior Policy Director, from 2003