Mike Green is the Acting Director General and Chief Operating Officer, of the Department for Education and leads the Operations Directorate. He joined DfE in 2012.
His previous roles include:
- Director of Commercial, DfE
- Departmental lead for the response to Grenfell
- Director of Capital, Education and Skill Funding Agency
Mike is a graduate of the Major Projects Leadership Academy (MPLA) at Saïd Business School, Oxford University and is Senior Responsible Officer for 2 of the department’s major programmes.
Before joining the Civil Service, Mike was a civil engineer and spent his career in the private sector working for companies such as Boots.
Chief Operating Officer, Insight, Resources and Transformation
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a member of the Department for Education board, audit and risk committee, implementation committee and the department’s leadership team. The COO is responsible for:
- effective management of the department’s resources
- delivery and improvement of the main corporate functions including analysis, international education, data, technology, human resources, finance and commercial
- governance and relationship with DfE’s non-departmental public bodies
Non-departmental responsibilities include non-executive member of Palace of Westminster, Northern Estate Programme.
Previous roles in government
Director, Capital, ESFA
- 2012 to 2018