Ian was appointed as Director of Compliance and Investigations in March 2016, having been seconded to the SSRO from accounting firm BDO as Defence Advisor in October 2014.
Ian began his career in the British Army as a logistician, serving across the globe including 7 operational tours of duty. He has commanded at both Squadron and Regimental level and undertook staff appointments in Brigade, Divisional, Corps HQ’s and at the MOD as well as operational tours with both the US and French Army. Ian is a guest lecturer in smart procurement at the Defence Academy and was awarded the BEM in 1981 and made an OBE in 1999.
Previous roles include:
- Vickers Defence Systems working on the Challenger II Main Battle Tank programme
- Consultant for the Helm Corporation leading the work on the division of Sudan under the auspices of the World Bank and UN
- Commercial Director at Tribal
- Director in Public Sector Advisory team at BDO
Director of Investigations, SSRO
The SSRO Director of Investigations is responsible for:
- Production of relevant statutory guidance, reports templates and user guides, developing SSRO guidance to respond to new issues and to find ways to improve value for money for the taxpayer while ensuring a fair return for industry
- Conducting investigations, in response to referrals, so that the SSRO efficiently dispatches its duty to provide independent expert advice on single source contracts
- Overseeing the reporting and compliance of industry and the Ministry of Defence with the Regulations, including the requirement to report profit and Allowable Costs on qualifying defence contracts, ensuring that all data provided is consistent with SSRO policy and requirements
- Developing the investigative function of the organisation, so that it becomes a trusted and function that is used by government and industry