Sir Mark Lyall Grant took up the role of Prime Minister’s National Security Adviser on 7 September 2015.
Previous roles in government
National Security Adviser
- 2015 to 2017
Ambassador and Permanent Representative, UK Mission to the UN New York
- 2009 to 2015
- Syria: 'It is the greatest regret of my time in New York that we failed to end the fighting and stop the humanitarian catastrophe in the region'
- "Countering violent extremism is one of the most pressing international challenges that we face"
- 'While we must all take steps to tackle extremism overseas, we cannot lose focus of our domestic responsibilities.'
- "The regional turmoil we are witnessing only reinforces the importance of resolving the Israel-Palestine conflict."
- "A political solution in Yemen remains the best way to counter the growing threat from terrorist groups"
- The United Kingdom welcomes the unanimous adoption of resolutions 2213 and 2214.
- "This Council must do its utmost to protect children and to give a strong voice to those most vulnerable."
- "We must not lose sight of how far Afghanistan has come in the past year."
- "EU-UN cooperation has proved its worth on many occasions."
- Latest UN report shows growing levels of human rights violations in Ukraine