Lucy Chadwick was appointed Director General, International, Security and Environment Group in 2012.
Lucy worked at Accenture before moving to the Prime Minister’s Delivery Unit in 2002, where she led the Transport Unit. She joined DfT in 2004 and has held 2 director posts.
As Director of Roads and Local Transport, Lucy had responsibility for London, leading on DfT’s relationship with the Mayor, cycling and sustainable travel and local transport plans. In 2005 she became Director of Rail and Road Projects, with responsibility for delivering major projects such as Crossrail, Thameslink, Network Rail’s network upgrade programme and the Highways Agency’s roads programme.
Director General International, Security and Environment Group
The main areas of responsibility are:
- aviation policy and security regulation, consumer protection, safety and environmental matters
- maritime policy and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
- leading the department’s approach to transport security and safety
- strengthening relations with other governments and international transport organisations to further UK interests
- updating the department’s overarching strategy to inform the future direction of transport policy
- managing and minimising transports impact on the environment