Lord Gardiner was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs on 17 July 2016. He is a Conservative member of the House of Lords.
He was educated at Uppingham School and Royal Holloway, University of London, where he read modern history and politics.
He served as Lord in Waiting from September 2012 to May 2015, and as Government Deputy Chief Whip and Captain of the Queen’s Bodyguard of the Yeomen of the Guard from May 2015 until July 2016.
Lord Gardiner was raised to the Peerage in 2010 and served as a party whip until being appointed to government. He served as Private Secretary to 5 successive Chairmen of the Conservative Party between 1989 and 1995.
Career outside politics
Lord Gardiner was Director of Political Affairs at the Countryside Alliance between 1995 and 2004 and Deputy Chief Executive between 2004 and 2010. He is also a partner in a family farm.
Lord Gardiner is married to the sculptor Olivia Musgrave.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Rural Affairs and Biosecurity
- rural ambassador and rural affairs, including broadband and mobile
- biosecurity strategy, including endemic and exotic plant and animal disease, invasive alien species and Kew Gardens
- animal health and welfare
- commercial projects
- landscape, including litter and national parks
- climate change adaptation
- National Pollinator Strategy
- all Defra parliamentary business in the House of Lords