Laurence Williams FREng (Chair) is an Emeritus Professor of Nuclear Safety and Regulation. He is a Senior Research Fellow at Imperial College London; a Visiting Professor at King’s College London and his additional roles include:
- Visiting Senior Fellow at the National Nuclear Laboratory
- Chair of the Defence Nuclear Safety Committee
- Member of the High Scientific Council of the European Nuclear Society
- Chair of the Nuclear Institute Editorial Board for Nuclear Future
- Member of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development’s International Advisory Group on Chernobyl
Prior to entering academia Laurence was:
- the Chief Engineer and Director for Nuclear Safety, Security and Environment at the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority
- a member of the board of the Health and Safety Executive and Her Majesty’s Chief Inspector of Nuclear Installations
- chairman of the IAEA Commission on Safety Standards, where he was responsible for overseeing the development of international standards in the areas of nuclear safety, radiation protection, radioactive waste management and the transport of nuclear materials
Laurence is an international authority on nuclear safety and security regulation. He is a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineering and a Fellow of the Nuclear Institute.
The Chair ensures the quality and delivery of CoRWM’s work programme and also that all output maintains the committee’s impartiality and authority.
The Chair is responsible for
- managing the relationship with the departments and ministers that sponsor the Committee
- making sure that CoRWM’s work programme is aligned with government programmes for radioactive waste management
The Chair is appointed for a 4-year period and is expected to spend about 1 and a half days per week on CoRWM business.