Julian Kelly was appointed Director General Nuclear at the Ministry of Defence in May 2017.
Prior to this appointment, Julian was Director General of Public Spending and Finance at HM Treasury. In this role Julian led work on the 2013 Spending Round.
Julian has held a number of other senior roles in the public sector, including as Finance Director in HMT and the Border Agency, and the private sector at HSBC. He is a qualified chartered accountant and member of CIMA.
Director General Nuclear
The Director General Nuclear is responsible for leading the Defence Nuclear Organisation, which acts as the focal point and sponsor for the Defence Nuclear Enterprise, from strategy to delivery.
The principal function of Defence Nuclear is to support the delivery of the continuous at sea deterrent (CASD) keeping safe and capable submarines at sea today and in the future providing the UK’s strategic nuclear deterrent and supporting global security.
- coordination of nuclear policy across the enterprise and supporting national level decision making on nuclear related matters
- sponsor for the Submarine Delivery Agency
- supporting ministerial engagement with Parliament, the public, and the media on the nuclear deterrent and the wider nuclear enterprise
- management of the nuclear equipment programme
- engagement with US and French government bodies and agencies on nuclear cooperation
Director General, Public Spending and Finance 2014 to 2017
Previous roles in government
Director General, Public Spending and Finance
- 2014 to 2017