Julian is the Director of Protocol and Vice-Marshal of the Diplomatic Corps at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Julian joined the British Diplomatic Service in 1978 and has served in Moscow, Zurich, the UK Mission to the UN in New York, Islamabad, Ottawa, San Francisco and New Delhi, and in a wide range of jobs in London. Before being appointed to his current job Julian served as Deputy High Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer in India, responsible for the management of the FCO’s largest overseas operation.
As Director of Protocol, Julian leads a directorate of 70 people who manage:
- the relationship with the foreign diplomatic missions and international organisations based in the UK
- diplomatic and VIP security
- the FCO’s relationship with the Royal Households
- logistics for major conferences and events
- inward State and Guest of Government visits
- Government Hospitality
- the international engagement aspects of the commemoration of the First World War
Director of Protocol and Vice-Marshal of the Diplomatic Service
The Director of Protocol works to the Foreign Secretary, through the Chief Operating Office and the Permanent Under Secretary, and is responsible for advice on all matters of Protocol and for the work described above.
They are also appointed by Her Majesty the Queen as Vice-Marshal and work in support of the Marshal in managing and promoting the relationship between the Royal Households and the members of the diplomatic corps.
Previous roles in government
British Deputy High Commissioner New Delhi
- 2011 to 2015