Jonathan became the Permanent Secretary for the Department for Education in May 2016.
His previous roles in government include:
- Director General and Head of the Economic and Domestic Secretariat, Cabinet Office
- Director General of Head Office and Commissioning Services, Ministry of Defence
- Director General for Transforming Justice, Ministry of Justice
- Chief Executive of the Office, Criminal Justice Reform
- Director of Performance and Improvement, National Offender Management Service
- Director, Prime Minister’s Delivery Unit
Before joining the Civil Service in 2001, Jonathan was a local authority Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Education.
The Permanent Secretary is a member of the Department for Education Board and attends the Performance, Management and Audit and Risk Committees. The Permanent Secretary is:
Head of the Department, ensuring the effective day-to-day running of the department, providing strong leadership and working with the board to manage the department’s external reputation
Chief Policy Adviser to the Secretary of State and the ministerial team, supporting them to develop and achieve their priorities
Principal Accounting Officer, responsible and accountable to Parliament for the stewardship of the department’s budget, and ensuring value for money
Previous roles in government
Director General, Economic and Domestic Secretariat
- 2015 to 2016