Jonathan became the Permanent Secretary for the Department for Education in May 2016.
His previous roles in government include:
- Director General and Head of the Economic and Domestic Secretariat, Cabinet Office
- Director General of Head Office and Commissioning Services, Ministry of Defence
- Director General for Transforming Justice, Ministry of Justice
- Chief Executive of the Office, Criminal Justice Reform
- Director of Performance and Improvement, National Offender Management Service
- Director, Prime Minister’s Delivery Unit
Before joining the Civil Service in 2001, Jonathan was a local authority Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Education.