Jonathan was appointed Non-Executive Director of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board on 1 October 2016. Jonathan has the additional responsibility of being Chair of the Audit and Risk Assurance Committee. He is also a Gambling Commissioner and a member of the audit committee of the Press and Assessment Board of the University of Cambridge.
Previous career highlights include:
- Setting up the Brussels office of Herbert Smith and subsequently leading the competition group for 12 years
- Senior Partner and Chair of Herbert Smith and post-merger, Herbert Smith Freehills, a leading global law firm. He led the firm’s European Union and Competition practice until 2007 and has chaired the firm’s Global Partnership Council, responsible for management and strategic decisions since 2010. He retired as Chair and as a partner in 2015.
Non-Executive Directors of the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Board play an important role in setting up the organisation, working with the chair and chief executive.
As board members, they are also responsible for:
- setting the organisation’s strategic direction and policy framework
- developing priorities
- monitoring performance against its objectives
- making decisions on Market Investigation References