Jon Benjamin has been the Director of the Diplomatic Academy since July 2017. From 2014 to 2017 he was the British High Commissioner in Ghana, and non-resident Ambassador to Togo, Benin and Burkina Faso.
Jon joined the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in 1986. He has previously served as Ambassador in Chile (2009 to 2014), Acting Consul General in New York (2005 to 2008), Washington (2005) and served in Ankara (1996 to 1999) and Jakarta (1988 to 1991). He has also held several positions in the Foreign & Commonwealth Office:
- Head of Human Rights Policy Department (2002 to 2005)
- Deputy Head of Drugs and International Crime Department (2000 to 2002)
- Head of Zimbabwe Emergency Unit (2000)
- Chief of Staff to FCO Minister responsible for EU and Latin America (1993 to 1995)
- Head of Section for Central Asia and Caucasus (1992 to 1993)
- Desk Officer for Burma and Laos (1986 to 1987)
Jon has a degree in Languages (German and Swedish) and International Relations, and a strong background in human rights.
Director of the Diplomatic Academy
The Director is responsible for the creation and delivery of an Academy which ensures those in the FCO and others working internationally for the government have the diplomatic and linguistic skills and knowledge they need to deliver Britain’s foreign policy.
Previous roles in government
British High Commissioner to Ghana
- 2014 to 2017
British Ambassador to Chile
- 2009 to 2014
- Queen at 91 an inspiration for UK and Ghana
- Op-ed on the visit of Her Royal Highness (HRH) The Princess Royal, Princess Anne to Ghana
- British High Commissioner's speech at the Enterprise Africa Summit
- British High Commissioner's speech marking Commonwealth Day
- British High Commissioner's congratulatory message for Ghana at 60
- British High Commissioner's speech marking International Women's Day 2017
- British High Commissioner's speech at the launch of the African Science Academy
- British High Commissioner's speech at the launch of election communication materials
- British High Commissioner's speech at the launch of Ghana's 3rd edition of the Manual on Election Adjudication
- British High Commissioner's speech at the TEDxAccraWomen event.