John was appointed British Ambassador to Greece in January 2013. He has a broad range of experience across government having worked previously in the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs (DEFRA), the Cabinet Office, the Department for Education & Employment (DfEE), as well as the Foreign Office (FCO).
- Jan 2013 - present: Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Hellenic Republic
- September – December 2012: Pre-tour training and briefing, FCO
- Jan 2011 – August 2012: DEFRA, Deputy Director, Inland Waterways & EU Strategy Support
- Sept 2008 – Sept 2010: DEFRA, Principal Private Secretary to the Secretary of State
- Jan 2008 – Aug 2008: DEFRA, Deputy Director, Exotic Animal Diseases
- Feb 2006 – May 2007: Cabinet Office, Better Regulation Executive, Deputy Director, EU & International
- Dec 2004 – Jan 2006: DEFRA, Team Leader, Animal Welfare Bill
- Oct 2003 – Dec 2004: FCO, Conflict Group, Section Head, Peacekeeping & International Policing
- Jan 2003 – Oct 2003:FCO, EU Directorate, Section Head, EU Accession Treaty & Bill
- Nov 1998 – Dec 2002: UK Permanent Representation to the EU, First Secretary, Employment & Social Policy
- May 1997 – Oct 1998: DfEE, EU Division, Team Leader, Social Policy
- Dec 1995 – May 1997: DfEE, Private Secretary to the Parliamentary Undersecretary of State
- October 1993-November 1995: DfEE, ‘Fast stream’ trainee
John is accompanied on his posting by his civil partner, David Bates.
British Ambassador to Greece
The Ambassador represents Her Majesty The Queen and the UK government in Greece. He is responsible for the direction and work of the Embassy and its Consulates, including political work, trade and investment, press and cultural relations, and visa and consular services.
Follow British Ambassador on Twitter, @HMA_JKittmer.