Joan Aitken was the Scottish Prison Complaints Commissioner (Ombudsman) from 1999 until her appointment as a Traffic Commissioner.
Joan has served as a part time chairman of employment tribunals, disability appeal tribunals and child support appeal tribunals in Scotland. As a solicitor she has worked in both private practice and local government. She is a former member of the Council of the Law Society of Scotland and for many years was editor of that Society’s Journal. She is a Chartered Fellow of the Institute of Logistics and Transport.
Traffic Commissioner for Scotland
- the licensing of the operators of Heavy Goods Vehicles (HGVs) and of buses and coaches known as Public Service Vehicles (PSVs)
- the registration of local bus services
- granting vocational licences and taking action against drivers of HGVs and PSVs
- dealing with appeals against decisions by Scottish local authorities on taxi fares
- dealing with appeals against charging and removing improperly parked vehicles in Edinburgh and Glasgow