Jim became Chief Executive of NHS Improvement on 1 November 2015.
Jim is a qualified accountant who joined the NHS in 1990. His previous roles have included:
- Chief Executive of Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust
- Interim Chief Executive of Northumberland Care Trust
- Chief Operating Officer of Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust
- Regional Director of Finance at the Regional Health Authority
- Deputy Chief Executive of Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust
- Director of Finance at North Tyneside Healthcare NHS Trust
He has a keen interest in quality of care, especially patient and family experience, and has participated in a number of reviews and national projects, including the Dalton Review in 2014.
Chief Executive, NHS Improvement
From 1 April 2016, NHS Improvement brings together Monitor, NHS Trust Development Authority, Patient Safety, the National Reporting and Learning System, the Advancing Change Team and the Intensive Support Teams.
NHS Improvement is responsible for overseeing foundation trusts and NHS trusts, as well as independent providers that provide NHS-funded care. It offers the support these providers need to give patients consistently safe, high quality, compassionate care within local health systems that are financially sustainable.
By holding providers to account and, where necessary, intervening, NHS Improvement will help the NHS to meet its short-term challenges and secure its future.